As we grow older, our appearances also change with age. The way we look, the way our skin feels, everything changes and our skin starts ageing as well. But so many times, how our skin ages, depends not only on our age in years but also depends on our lifestyle, environmental factors, habits, etc.
Causes of ageing skin
There could be a lot of factors that cause skin ageing right from environmental factors to hereditary factors. Environmental factors like pollution or exposure to the sun can damage the skin layers resulting in ageing of the skin. Often times how soon your age, how soon the wrinkles show up, could also depend on your genetic makeup. Smoking and other lifestyle factors like poor diet, lack of exercise, etc. could also lead to damaged cells causing premature ageing. Other factors like facial movement, obesity, stress, and the way you sleep could also lead to ageing of the skin.
What happens in skin ageing?
With skin ageing, what specifically happens is the structure of the skin layers undergo changes.
- The outer layer of the skin starts thinning, making the skin layer more fragile and sensitive.
- With the skin becoming thinner and more translucent, any spots that appear, become more visible.
- The skin tissue also undergoes drastic changes like decreased elasticity, lowered strength in the skin, loss of firmness or tautness of the skin.
- But it isn’t just the appearance that changes with these factors. The innermost layer under the skin layers becomes so thin and fragile and loses its fat, that the insulation and the padding that is used to provide, is lost. This could cause additional risk of injuries and could also cause overheating of your body.
- Moreover, such loss of fat, especially below the area around the cheeks, temples, chin, nose and eye could cause the skin to loosen, give an appearance of sunken eyes and give you an overall “skeletal” appearance.
- Dryness and itching are also common later in life as the skin layers can no longer hold moisture. With skin ageing, we also tend to lose sweat glands and oil glands which could cause itching.
How we can help
Ageing is a natural process but premature ageing sometimes can be avoidable. In order to avoid premature ageing, we at PHI Clinic will help you come up with balanced lifestyle changes using our holistic approach to treatments. We will help you find a balance between treatments, oral medicines, dietary changes and overall health improvement. Right from the basic care routines like protecting your skin from sun exposure, to eating healthy, exercising, moisturising daily and when needed, opting for skin treatments that are more intricate and involved, we will help you find the best routine.
To understand in-depth about our different treatment plans, and to learn more about our holistic approach to treating ageing skin, please contact us and our experts will personally guide you be comfortable in your own skin.